Links

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Fibonacci's Nest

Title: Fibonacci's Nest Size: 18"h X 24"w Medium: Graphite pencil on paper Year: 2013 This is the first drawing of my new series of natural curiosities I have encountered in nature. I am already excited to start the next drawing. This particular drawing is of a robin's nest that was on my American smoke tree outside my house. Robin's will migrate back to their same nesting locations each year. Sometimes they brood up to three times and always make a new nest for each brood to avoid parasites and other insubordinate variables. They pick each individual twig, grass, and other suitable natural and unnatural material by their beak. Each piece is carefully laced and woven almost in a perfect nautilus fashion. The robin secures the structure even further with mud which they carry in their mouth and pack along the base of the nest. This drawing too nearly 50 hours and it made me appreciate the artistry of not just the robin, but unique and diverse bird dwellings as a whole. I apologize for the poor quality of this photo as it was quickly taken with a point and shoot camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment