Links

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pileated Woodpecker

Some recent photos I took of two old trees punctuated in repetitive fashion courtesy of one of my favorite birds, the pileated woodpecker. The pileated is frenetic in its daily business as it vociferously hammers away with its large bill to poke out grubs and insects buried in old and dead trees. He wears a magnificent crimson red cap that is shaped like a wedge. He's also a near facsimile of the presumably extinct Ivory billed woodpecker of the Ozarks. The pileated is a beautifully large bird and is attracted to suet. I highly recommend inviting this chap to visit your feeding stations. I am currently working on my next drawing, but in the meantime, enjoy some fine bird art and commentary by Chicago artist and Nationally acclaimed, Tony Fitzpatrick.

No comments:

Post a Comment